How to achieve ego death by Psychedelic Therapy Posted on January 11th, 2013 by Gad Asas in Personal Development, Psychedelics, Shamanism with [fetching…]
The path to ego death as described by - Frederick Swain
“But if I concentrated on the vision, the hut receded. I had control of my will and intellect. I was able to point my mind in any direction, though I felt I was in turn influenced by the emotional content of the vision, much as emotions
influence the mind in normal circumstances”
Psychotherapeutic practice can be traced back to prehistoric times as part of traditional shamanic practices. The shamans have been using the entheogens in shamanic rituals in order to manifest and enhance the transcendental, ecstatic, religious or mystical peak experiences and eventually achieve ego death. Since the reality is greater and larger than our mind can grasp, it forced the shamans to get out of their minds (out of the box) with the help of psychedelic drugs. The known psychedelic substances that have been used till now include: MDMA, LSD, Psilocybin, Cannabis, Mescaline, 2C-B, Dimethyltryptamine, Ibogaine, Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, Ketamine, Amanita muscaria, Bufotenine, Harmaline, Ayahuasca, and Salvia divinorum. Shamans used to mix few substances together to produce the desired effect of ego death. The use of psychedelic substances in Western world therapy began in the 1950s, after the widespread distribution of LSD to researchers by its manufacturer.
The ancient knowledge has passed to shamans from time immemorial but nowadays spiritual seekers that wish to use the benefits of entheogens lack the necessary knowledge. As rule of thumb, it is recommended to start with small quantity doses.
I would like to present important facts to consider before initiating Psychedelic Therapy.
The selection of the right drug
As a first step, you have to match the entheogen to the desired experience. It is best to go into a journey with an understanding of your intentions, or what you really want to get out of the experience. In order to choose the most suitable hallucinogen for your specific purpose, you must first understand their basic psychological effects. The common hallucinogen, entheogens and psychedelic-Phenethylamines with links for further reading are listed below.
MDMA (MethyleneDioxyMethAmphetamine): Also known as ecstasy is an entactogen that has gained popularity over the past 20 years because of its ability to produce strong feelings of comfort, empathy, and connection to others.
DMT (dimethyltryptamine): Has been used in a spiritual setting for millennia. This entheogen is capable of inducing a ‘classical’ mystical experience of transpersonal Oneness, with complete dissolution of Ego (Ego death experience) and Identity, mostly at higher dosages, and in certain individuals.
LSD-25. (lysergic acid): Also known as Tryptamine, LSD is capable of inducing a ‘classical’ mystical experience of transpersonal Oneness, with complete dissolution of Ego and Identity, in high dosages, and in certain individuals.
Psilocybin (4-OH-DMT): Can induce transpersonal-mystical experience in high dosage. It naturally is occurring in some 200 mushroom species. Used in various shamanic cultures around the globe for centuries, most notably in Mexico.
Ketamine/PCP: Capable of inducing a ‘classical’ mystical experience of transpersonal Oneness, with complete dissolution of Ego and Identity, (mostly at high dosages or when administered IM, and in certain individuals).
Mescaline: Can induce transpersonal-mystical experience in high-dosages. Naturally occurring in various cactus species, mescaline is one of the oldest psychedelics known to humans.
2-CB, 2-CI: Structurally related to mescaline, both 2-CB and 2-CI can induce transpersonal-mystical experience in high-dosages.
Set, Setting, and Preparation for a Trip
After choosing the most suitable entheogen for your desired experience, you have to decide where and when it is best for you to trip. Having a proper set and setting is essential parameter when preparing for a journey.
Set: Your set is your mood, and psychological baggage that you bring into a trip. Everyone’s set is unique and constantly changing depending on what is going on in their lives. The directions for the right set include important factors as:
- Physical and Psychological Good Health.
- Avoid Tripping in Times of Crisis.
- Relaxed, Positive Attitude.
- Intent of Trip: You can think about what you would like to attain, or experience, during your journey with focus on your awareness and attention.
- Find your spiritual center: If you have a particular faith or spiritual belief it can be helpful to spend a few moments to pray, meditate, ask for guidance and safe passage, purify your intentions, and remind yourself why you are about to take that trip.
Setting: The setting is all of the components that form the environment that you choose to trip in.
This includes the physical location and the people you choose to trip with.
- Physical Location: Choose the location that makes you feel comfortable and safe.
- Clothing: Any type of clothes is fine as long as you feel comfortable. Meditation and Yoga clothes are recommended since they are light. It is better to layer the clothing because your body temperature can change drastically during an experience.
- People in the Group: Group tripping can be helpful to beginning trippers because of the support and guidance of the more experienced group members. It is important to trip with people that you trust and feel comfortable with. Being self-conscious and feeling worried about what others think of you are the last things that you want to happen to you during a group Psychedelic Therapy.
- Food and Beverages: It is good to have beverages available, like juice and water, prepared ahead of time.
Right after the trip comes down; it is recommended to eat high energy food like ice-cream or chocolate in order to restore your body energy back.
- Music: CD’s with calming music are recommended to listen throughout the experience. Throughout history all the shamans played music during the ceremonies. Their music sounded like a constant beat throughout the entire experience. You can also sing your favorite song.
- Quality and quantity: It is very important to obtain your entheogen from a reliable source that you trust. Alternatively, you can grow the entheogenic plants yourself. Use your intuition to set the right dose for you and if you are a beginner use small threshold dose.
The psychedelic therapy experience and its meaning
Each entheogenic experience is unique as each person is unique.
Visual and auditory changes are usually one of the first effects noticed as a trip begins, or comes on. People often describe what happens to the vision by saying that the walls are melting, breathing, or moving. At the same time, colors increase in intensity and become much more vivid than in ordinary reality. Sounds are perceived with more clarity and dimension.
As the trip progresses with larger doses, the visuals often become so intense that the reality we are normally used to seeing disappears. What happens then is similar to the blinders being taken off a horse. Suddenly an entire new reality is able to be seen; it is the real reality and the fundamental basis for what we always thought to be the real reality.
The most common experiences that you may encounter during your trip are listed below although the specific experience will be different from person to person.
- Time Distortion/Dilation/The Loop
- Unity with Everything
- Ego Death/Rebirth
- The Collective Unconscious
- Cosmic Consciousness or the Godhead
- You had unusual experience and it is recommended right away to document as much as possible your physical and mental feelings (fear, happiness, joy, etc.), visions, thoughts, ego death or else that you have experienced during your trip. It will help you to plan your next trips.
- Think about your insights that you had.
- Eat light meal.
- Continue your day with calm and relaxed activity. If its evening go and get some sleep. If its morning or daytime it is good idea just to walk and absorb the surrounding beauty of the nature.
For further reading I recommend the following website: http://www.neurosoup.com
Dear reader, I will appreciate your trip and ego death experience sharing. It will encourage other readers and give them inspiration. I will never expose your personal information unless you explicitly ask.